Are you doing well in high school and looking for an academic challenge? Why wait until after graduation when you can get started TODAY? Explore college opportunities while still in high school!
For over 20 years, SUNY Orange has been offering high school students the opportunity to "jump start"their college career via the College Experience Program (CEP). High school juniors and seniors have chosen the College Experience Program for many reasons. As a SUNY Orange student, you will have an opportunity to:
- Earn college credits while still in high school
- Apply credits towards a high school diploma and/or a degree at Orange or transfer them to another college or university
- Gain confidence in a college setting
- Enhance your opportunities for acceptance into the college of your choice
- Save money by paying significantly less than at most other colleges and universities
Who can participate in the College Experience Program?
Students may enter the College Experience Program as part-or full-time students.
Students entering the CEP program for the first time must meet the following requirements:
- Seniors need a minimum combined course average (cumulative GPA) of 85 in all Regents courses, and a minimum score of 85 on the NYS Regents Exam that corresponds to their SUNY Orange CEP course.
- Juniors need a minimum combined course average of 90 (cumulative GPA) in all Regents courses and a minimum score of 90 on the NYS Regents Exam that corresponds to their SUNY Orange CEP course.
Due to the current transition of the high school math curricula in New York State, the required score for enrollment in CEP math courses will temporarily be the following:
- 80 on the NYS Math B Regents Exam for seniors
- 85 on the NYS Math B Regents Exam for juniors
- To be full-time (12 credits or more) or to study English as a part-time student, a student must be a senior and have earned an 85 or higher on the NYS English Language Arts Exam.
- Students enrolled in Community College in the High School who wish to be concurrently enrolled in the College Experience Program may take no more than 15 credits as a combined total.
How to Apply
- Fill out and submit the online application form indictating desired courses at SUNY Orange and have a parent or guardian certify the form by entering their name at the end. You must re-apply each semester.
- Request from your guidance counselor an official high school transcript and a letter of recommendation indicating ability to do college leve work (to be submitted as soon as possible).
- If the college courses will be applied toward high school graduation, the letter must include the following for full-time students: "a New York State high school diploma from __________ High School will be issues to __________ upon successful completion of the following specific courses" and the list of Orange County Community College courses required for high school graduation.
- Interview with an Admissions representative (Students will be contacted after Admissions validates their eligibility).
- Students must bring immunization records if they wish to take 6 or more credits during a semester.
Why Choose SUNY Orange?
Selection of Courses: From English to architecture, mathematics to music, speech communication to criminal justice, there's a course sure to fit both your interests and challenge your intellect.
Flexible Scheduling: Classes are taught both during the day and evening to work around your high school schedule. Most courses meet for three hours a week and you may select the days and times that work best for you!
Transferability of Courses: Whether you plan to go away to college after high school or come to Orange for your Associates Degree and then transfer, we have an extraordinary transfer record to both public and private colleges all over the country. We can work with you to choose courses that will transfer to the college of your choice. Arizona State University, SUNY Albany, Penn State, Vassar College, Boston University, Cornell, and University of Binghamton are just a few of the institutions that seek out our students.
Quality Education at an Affordable Cost: Attending college is an expensive venture. Due to the nature of our funding, we are able to keep tuition low while maintaining high academic standards. You can enter college with completed college credits and save money in the process.[top]
What others are saying about the College Experience Program
"I decided to take courses at Orange during my senior year at Port. By attending Orange, I was able to complete some general education requirements before leaving for college. I saved a lot of money and was able to register as a freshman with advanced standing. I would definitely recommend the CEP Program to other high school students."
-- Michelle Felter
Port Jervis Class of 2002
Towson State University Undergraduate Student
"I found the College Experience Program at Orange to be beneficial to students in that it offers high achieving high school juniors and seniors a greater opportunity and alternative to gain college credit. Courses taken on a college campus are more readily accepted for transfer credit than those taken at the high school. In addition, the college environment is experienced sooner, allowing for a smoother transition to college life."
-- Edward S. Schlissel
Director of Counseling and Guidance (Retired)
Newburgh Enlarged School District
Participants in the College Experience Program who intend to continue study at SUNY Orange after they receive their high school diploma should apply for matriculation (formal admission) by filing an application for matriculation during their senior year.
For specific information on programs, deadlines, and tuition, call the Office of Admissions at (845) 341-4030.
- Admissions Home
- Academic Programs
- Apply Now
- Health Professions
- Placement Testing
- Visit SUNY Orange
- Accepted Students
- Viewbook >
- Quick Facts >
- Honors Program >
- Veterans >
- Programs for High School Students
- Related Services and Departments
- Admissions Forms